Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tap into savings


Sounds like an advertisment, right? What would be a cool song to go along with this? Perhaps the intro to Wild Side (nice drum work there. Get it, tap tap tap?).




OK, Clean Water Action has some good advice on its blog. Wash away that pain at the pump with a nice glass of tap water.:




"If you’re looking for a place to trim your budget in order to afford gasoline, you might start by cutting out bottled water. In most cases, the water you buy is the same as what comes out of your tap. When it’s bottled, you pay anywhere from 1000 to 10,000 times the price of tap water."




I never thought about it that way. Sure, I know bottled water is a rip-off. But it's convenient. That's why people buy it. I try to shy away from it, because I hate the thought of all the plastic being made to be filled with water, and water companies (Hello Nestle) sucking water out of communities for big profits.




But I was in the bottled water aisle at Meijer last night. Going camping again. Bought a 12-pack of water for the kids. Yes, I recycle the bottles. What struck me was the number of people buying LARGE amounts of bottled water. Cases of it. I saw this several times while in the aisle and while passing people throughout the store.


I think it has something to do with our water here in the Saginaw Bay area. It passes all the tests, but the taste does take some getting used to. This Clean Water Action post motivates me to buy some reusable water jugs for trips. Now someone tell me how to keep my kids from losing one of these jugs every five minutes.


- GM.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Yeah, that's the problem with the "drink tap water" thing, because many times, tap water tastes terrible. But...get a Brita pitcher! It tastes better and it's always nice and cold in your fridge.