Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Governor sings "Runnin' on Empty"

Yes yes yes. This is right on my wavelength.

Mich. Guv. Jennifer Granholm rocks. She says the state should look at letting employees work alternative schedules in the era of $4-a-gallon gas.



Why not? Great idea. Saves gas. Lets people spend less time chained to a desk.

She proposes longer work days, shorter work weeks. I would take it one step further: Telecommuting.

There's no reason, in many cases, that people should have to drive to work, sit at a desk, keep a chair warm in a building that has to be heated, cooled, cleaned, insured, etc.

I have all I need at my fingertips, thanks to something called "The Internet." And something else called "The phone." If, during a day of telecommuting, I have to go somewhere, I can drive there.

Sure, it won't work for doctors and police officers, but for lots of people, it's a great idea. At least some days a week.

Why not?! Probably because employers don't trust us.

Trust me: Most people can get their daily job done in a lot shorter than an 8-hour work day. But they have to take 8 hours to do it, so they do.

Everybody's working for the weekend.

- GM.

Granholm: State can do more to cut commuting costs | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

No comments: