Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Chinese Democracy Turkey


It's two days from Thanksgiving. And I have many things to be thankful for:
--- Chinese Democracy was released on Sunday
--- I just picked up a six pack of Brown Shugga
--- My kids are quietly watching a Benji movie
--- I'm driving downstate to see my folks on turkey day, and meet their new dog. 


Things are good. I've got a cold, but can't complain otherwise. 

And it looks like PR folks are gobbling up opportunities to put out Thanksgiving-related, eco-friendly news items. Call me a sucker, but some of these are pretty decent.

The EPA, which is trying to do more outreach these days, has a Blog of the Week Question: How did you minimize environmental impacts while making holiday travel plans? 
My answer: I dunno. Driving a little under the speed limit? Rejoicing to Mother Earth for $1.67-a-gallon gas? Oh, I've got it: Bringing home leftovers!

The folks at the Renewable Fuels Association have a ditty on the increased costs this year for a Thanksgiving dinner. The costs are up by 5.6 percent. Some blame the ethanol business for inflating the price of corn and associated foods. Not so, says the RFA:

"Because gasoline prices would likely be 20 to 35 cents per gallon higher without ethanol, the only noticeable economic impact of ethanol on Thanksgiving dinner this year is the money saved when driving over the river and through the woods to grandmother’s house."

Regardless of whether you blame corn or not, take it easy on the salt this year. Believe it or not, there's a Salt Institute, which says there's a shortage of salt this year, due to high demand in 2007. Prices are up by 300 percent. Just don't blame ethanol. 

- GM

No comments: